What is the cost of building a house?
From the realization of the building permit to the hand delivery of the keys, many stages will follow one another for the construction of your house. Thanks to this article containing the estimate of the cost of building a house, you will easily be able to differentiate the cost of the structural work, the second work and the finishes.
Build a house on one level or a house on the floor, a brick house or a wooden house ? The offers from manufacturers and pavilions are numerous and the prices offered too. They take into account many parameters such as the accessibility of the land, the nature of the soil, the materials chosen or the professional in charge of the work.
It is obviously complex to estimate the cost of building a house without asking for a quote. However, the average statistically evaluated for the construction of a house, all categories and all regions combined, is € 72,400 including tax
To help make a more realistic new house construction price estimate, this article summarizes the most frequently asked budgetary questions.
- How to estimate the cost of building a traditional house ?
- How to estimate the price of a wood house construction ?
- How to estimate the price of a new construction ?
- How to estimate the price of an ecological house construction ?
- How to estimate the price of a house construction: the additional costs
The price of a traditional house construction
The estimation of a house is carried out in several stages, differentiating the construction methods, the type of architecture and taking into account the new regulations. Estimating the cost of renovating a house may take up a large part of these criteria.
The budget of a traditional house is calculated after defining the type of construction material, the construction standard, the level of completion of the works, that is to say house outside water and outside air or turnkey but above all the exact dimension and the form: the price of a house on one level is different from that of a house on a floor. Different questions will arise to determine the amount of construction: should an architect, a design office or a manufacturer be called upon ? Should we favor simple volumetrics ? What form best adapts to the specificities of my land ? What materials to comply with the new thermal regulations or even what services to arrange the interior ?
- A rectangular concrete house, to the standards in force and delivered turnkey ready to be decorated, returns on average to 1,500 euros per m², insisting, however, that floor houses are a little more expensive than single-foot houses since the weight to be borne requires the creation of very resistant foundations. An additional cost of 100 euros to 200 euros is therefore to be expected.
- The amount of a turnkey brick construction ready to decorate is from € 1,000 to € 1,800 per m². If this same construction is delivered out of air and out of water with the completed structural work, the price ranges from € 600 to € 800 per m². If the brick construction is on the floor, the budget is from 15,000 € to 30,000 € higher depending on the area of the place and the professional chosen.
How to estimate the cost of building a traditional house in brief: the price of building a house in concrete blocks is between 600 and 1,500 € / m², that of a brick house between 600 and 1,800 euros / m²
The price of a wood house construction
The estimation of the cost of a house construction work is facilitated if the construction materials are known in advance. Assessing the cost of a wooden house consists in listing the various factors that will influence the final cost. The area, the type of construction, the energy performance, the assembly technique chosen and the level of completion of the works proposed: house out of air and out of water, in self-construction or turnkey, will determine the price of the construction of a wooden house.
Professionals insist on various points and ask their customers to reflect on the preferred wood essence (European or exotic wood) on the mounting technique (wood frame or planks) and on the interior layout, specifying the type of insulation, coating materials and the heating system.
- The price of a house in a self-construction kit begins at 350 € per square meter.
- A hand-turnkey classic wooden house costs between € 700 and € 3,000 per square meter, assuming an average range of € 700 to € 1,200 per square meter.
- The prices apply here to a house out of water, out of air with the finished structural work.
How to estimate the cost of a wooden house in brief: the average price for a traditional wooden house is € 150,000. Count € 1,200 per m² on average for a turnkey wooden house, between € 600 and € 1,200 per m² for a kit or prefab house and around € 1,400 per m² for a traditional wooden house.
The price of a new construction
The price estimate of a new house construction takes into account many factors but depends mainly on the contracted professional. Several trades specialize in the construction of individual houses. The architect and the project manager make a custom, personalized house.
The manufacturer and the pavilor are generally based on pre-established plans but provide a design office capable of adapting the standard profile to the terrain and needs. The advantage in hiring a work coordinator is that you do not have to manage the teams of artisans. Guarantees run long term and deadlines are met.
The estimate of the construction price of a new house can be made based on the average prices of the professionals contracted.
- The average cost of an architect for the construction of a 144 m² house is € 1,700 / m².
- The amount to be provided for the construction of a house of 113 m² by a manufacturer is approximately € 1,390 / m².
- The price asked by a craft entrepreneur to build a house of 122 m² is on average € 1,420 per m².
- Finally, if the individual realizes his house in self-construction, it will cost him 1,280 € / m² on average for an area of 129 m².
How to estimate the cost of a new construction in brief: the construction of a new house returns on average between 1,280 and 1,700 € / m² for an average area of 127 m², depending on the professional chosen.
How to estimate the price of an ecological house construction ?
The construction of an ecological house is based on standards and regulations, at least on RT2012, thermal regulations providing for a reduction in energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. This legislation applies to any building permit issued since January 1, 2013.
The estimation of the cost of building an ecological house is based on the quality of the materials used, the technologies adopted and the expected performance. Passive or positive houses are much more demanding than traditional houses respecting only RT2012.
- Plan from 1,000 to 1,800 € of m² for a turnkey bioclimatic home.
- The cost of building a bioclimatic house out of water and out of air is between € 400 and € 600 per m².
- The construction of a passive house out of water and out of air returns between 800 and 1,200 € / m².
- For the construction of a hand-turned passive house, count between 1,300 and 3,000 € / m²
- Positive house construction costs between 1,500 and 1,800 € / m². The price of large positive villas can reach 2,000 € / m².
How to estimate the cost of a house construction in brief: the amount of an ecological house extends from 400 to 600 € / m² for bioclimatic above ground and from 1,000 to 3,000 € / m² for hand keys bioclimatic and passive. This price amounts to 1,500 to 2,000 € / m² for a positive house.
Various costs are to be expected in addition to the actual construction costs including the cost of the building permit, the architect’s fees, the work damage insurance or the connection of the house.
- The price of work damage insurance is equivalent to 2.2% of the total cost.
- The amount granted for the realization of the building permit extends from 1,000 to 5,000 € depending on the nature of the project.
At the connection level, several prices distinguish:
- The electrical connection costs around 1,000 to 1,100 € on average. If the distance exceeds 30 meters, the connection costs will be increased by around € 200.
- The price of the gas connection of less than 30 meters begins at 335 € but can reach a price of 1,012 € TTC
- The additional cost for a connection beyond 30 meters is € 100 HT per meter dug.
- The water connection returns to € 1,500 for a length of less than € 10 m and € 50 per additional linear meter.
- Finally, the connection of telephone lines is estimated at around € 200.
Regarding the sanitation carried out on an unserviced land, count around € 3,000, or even more if the installation of a septic tank is planned.
How to estimate the cost of a house construction in brief: the additional costs come back to around € 1,000 with simple connections such as water, gas and electricity. 2.2% of the total amount of the project is to be set aside to settle the work damage insurance.