How to make a room plan. Create an apartment plan?
We are continuing the conversation today about planning a room. The last time, when we opened our subject on dream rooms, we talked about it.
And today, as promised, we will talk about different options for planning solutions for a variety of rooms.
I chose for myself the top – the most common room layouts in our realities – from the smallest to the largest.
Well, let’s go? To start, remember the “AZY” from any layout – remember how many people take up space.
This is important because we can constantly store the furniture in the room … but if later it turns out that the room cannot be turned over – it will be sad …
If there is a double bed, then the area should be increased to 12-14 square meters …
I always say the following – if there is no choice of rooms, then we think B LET’S SHOW ONLY And we do it beautifully, comfortably even in the smallest room.
Especially if you have a child … Think three times before dividing the pieces – can we still give the child a large room? And leave you the smallest? But these are words:)
Remember that the minimum passing standards are 70 cm. Better, of course, more … I have less than 70 cm in my room: ( .. and I’ll tell you, of course, it’s sad .. and not super comfortable … but you can live! In the room we sleep and are not active …
As I said in the first article on the theme “House of Dreams” – we start planning by choosing a bed and finding the best place for it in the room.
Here are the basic options for placing the bed in the room: free, in a niche, against the wall, etc.
You should choose the location of the bed solely according to the area of the room, the presence of other furniture (in particular large furniture such as cupboards, tables, dressers) and personal preferences.
Since we can, of course, put the bed in the center of a 3×3 m room … But can we then stick a cupboard in this room?
We will now examine the various planning decisions that I have prepared for you, but let’s start with a single provision, which is considered to be the most controversial and, in the opinion of professionals, the most incorrect.
A professional designer generally does not put a bed on the same wall as the front door.
by Oxana Panteleeva
It is neither fair nor comfortable … I try never to do that … But … There is always BUT .
by Oxana Panteleeva
And there are exceptions (this happened to me in a project), there are situations where the bed cannot be posed differently for various reasons: the characteristics of the room, the location of the windows, the appliances heating, etc. or tables or cupboards … In this way, the layout is perceived much more comfortably, and the feeling of “security” that we seek psychologically is more pronounced. Suddenly someone will help you.
by Oxana Panteleeva
It is also considered incorrect to place the “face” bed on the windows … But that I consider an unnecessary restriction. I do not see any obvious and pronounced defects in this arrangement of the bed. Occulting curtains can solve the sunlight problem, and what other problems?
We did not decide to put a headboard on the windows. There is only one reason for this: climatic conditions and heating radiators. But in the south, I think such a layout can be very, very successful!
And now to my selection :
The most standard for a room, which is a rectangle with sides of 3 and 5 meters. A space of 15 meters, on which we can place everything we need: a bed, bedside tables, recessed cupboards, a dresser with TV
In this arrangement, the front door is well located, thanks to a 60 to 70 cm withdrawal from the corner, an integrated cabinet can be placed along the 3 meter wall, which will be of equal size to a small dressing room. There is a large bed (mattress 180 cm wide). If desired, a shallow dresser can be placed so that a comfortable passage between it and the bed remains.
In rectangular rooms, the door “almost corner”. Often also found in our conditions and it is not possible to transfer the opening. In such cases, I advise you to make cupboards of different sections in depth.
This option is personally my layout, when there is a small 3×4 meter room, and I really want to have a large integrated cabinet almost a wardrobe (we have a depth of 90 cm). A small chair fits in the corner. The passages were 60 cm each. At least not met, but you can live :). Tip: in this arrangement, leave the usual cabinet depth of 60 cm – it will be more correct and more comfortable!
The same surface of the room as in the third version is 12 square meters. It is a very common layout of the bedroom, when a niche is constructed to embed the bed and cupboards around it. If the length of the room allows small tables / tables to stand in a niche with a bed. If that doesn’t allow you to put a little “niche” or a shelf in the walls that separate the cupboards and the bed, to “put a book, glasses, a phone …
very nice layout. The room does not seem small and cramped.
Another standard rectangle. The front door in this case does not allow you to build a wardrobe throughout the wall, so it is generally placed on the wall and I always complete it with a mezzanine above the door. It turns out that we have integrated the door into the cupboard system.
In order to move away from the feeling of a “trailer”, it is possible to change a bedside table on the desk (if necessary), on a dresser, on a hairdresser.
For television, we put on a narrow console or hang a narrow shelf, because in this version, it is unlikely that a full dresser will be 60 cm deep … and to keep the passage comfortable.
A rectangular room with a very practical arrangement of the windows and the front door (often found in old houses). With this arrangement, we obtain a beautiful room with a properly placed bed, the television corner is connected to cupboards and the length of the room allows you to add a banquet to the foot of the bed. There will be about 1 meter left in the passage.
If you want to change something in your life, psychologists advise you to start with the environment around you, for example, to change the layout of the room or to move a piece of furniture. There are several reasons for this: a) during this process, we are distracted and b) we immediately see the result of our work, which motivates us very well for further changes.
The ROOMLE online service, which I will tell you about today, allows you to quickly and clearly make a plan of an apartment or room and try to change something. You will immediately see what the room will look like after the changes. It’s very practical: you don’t need to move the furniture manually to the planning stage now))).
To start using this online service, simply go to its main page and click the “Start Room” button. After that, you must register and then confirm the recording by clicking on the link in the letter that arrived in the mailbox. (You haven’t forgotten such a cool thing, how?). After that, you will immediately find yourself in a floor plan editor.
Functionality of the editor Room
Here’s what you can do when you draw an apartment plan :
- put in the background (as a substrate) a drawing or other drawing
- drawing and editing the arrangement of the walls is very simple and practical
- define the length and thickness of the walls
- have openings, windows and doors in the right places
- insert a wide variety of furniture and decoration (a choice of 16 different categories is available: sofas and cupboards in the trash)
- assign a color and materials to objects (cars, parquet, linoleum, etc.)
Everything is done quickly, comfortably, all the options are intuitive. A little upset only by visualizing the resulting part in 3D e mode. There is something else to work on for the developers of this service. Certainly, they have a kind of advanced 3D rendering mode, available after an additional installation on Unity Web Player.
I decided to try what it is: I installed this reader in good faith, after which a certain percentage of image processing was counted for a long period, after which the service issued a mistake. I tried a second time, but after 15 minutes, the browser itself crashed. Try it – you may be luckier)).
In general, the Room online service leaves positive emotions. It allows you to make an apartment plan almost at a professional level. Everything is done quickly and intuitively. With the task of sketching a room with an overview of the top, observing all the sizes and arrangement of windows and doors, it comes out at 100%. 3D visualization in this case can be considered as a pleasant and completely optional additional option.
How to draw an online apartment plan (video tutorial)
Friends, to make it easier for you to navigate and start working in this online service, I have recorded a training video for you. Have a nice view!
Friends, did you like this service? Do you know of better analogues? Share your impressions in the comments.
If you are going to buy modern furniture, equip an old house or move to a new one, first draw up plans for all the parts to avoid work and money: mistakes can be costly.
A large-scale drawing is a drawing with the dimensions of the part plotted on it. If you are moving to a new house, you will need drawings of all the rooms to select and organize the furniture in the best way, as well as to determine whether narrow doors or low ceilings will hinder the move. If you want to update the furniture or completely change the furniture, first estimate everything. By purchasing wallpaper and paint, define the exact amount of materials, always guided by the drawing.
The plan provides valuable information to workers. The movers will know exactly where to place the furniture. Plumbers, electricians and manufacturers will be able to familiarize themselves with the parts before starting the work and understand what is asked of them.
The main types of useful plans for these purposes are the (horizontal) floor plan and the (vertical) wall plan. The first is an overview of the top of the room, it indicates the length and the width. It allows precise calculation of the floor surface and definition of the arrangement of furniture.
The wall plan indicates the height of the room and the presence of elements such as doors, windows and alcoves. On these planes are reflected all the walls of the room. They are used to determine the amount of paint and wallpaper, as well as to organize furniture.
A perspective plan gives a three-dimensional image of the room. Such a drawing is useful for accurate planning, for example, if you want to buy a set of kitchen furniture of the appropriate size and design. However, it is difficult to draw a perspective for a layman, and it is best to provide it to a specialist or a computer. Carefully draw all the plans and keep them for the future: you will be surprised at how often you should turn to them.
Room plan (top view)
Start with a sketch of the part to apply the measurement results. At this point, the plan does not need to be well framed. Mark the position of doors, windows, radiators, electrical outlets, switches, fireplaces, alcoves and other permanent elements. It is important to note the arc where the doors open, as well as the frames on the windows – oscillating, lifting or rotating. The arrangement of furniture depends on it.
If you have to place furniture in a limited area, first accurately determine the sizes of all items and apply them to the plan.
It is better to work together: one holds a ribbon to measure, the other stretches it along the wall. It is easier to take readings.
Start at the corner of the room and guide the tape to be measured through the ground parallel to the wall you want to measure. Dim the plan.
If the room has a fireplace or other object protruding from the wall, take 4 separate measures:
- total length of the wall (in front of the projecting part) ;
- width of the room itself ;
- distance from a step on the side (or from the corner) to the room;
- distance from another wall on the side (or from a corner).
Add the last 3 digits and make sure the sum matches the total of the data. Then measure the distance from the wall to the front of the room on each side and mark the distance at which the object protrudes into the room.
Also measure the width of doors, doorways, windows and window frames. Open the door and measure the distance from which it enters the room. Mark it on the plane with an arc connecting the door pillar with the edge of the door completely open.
After having successfully completed all the measurements, transfer them to the cut paper (millimeter paper). Choose easy to use paper. Mimetric paper is a paper, classified on large and small squares. On standard sheets with squares of 2, 10 and 20 mm, each side of the smallest squares measures 2 mm; 5 of these squares vertically and 5 horizontally form squares of 10 mm, and 4 of these squares constitute a square of 20 mm. By using them, you can draw any shape. In the drawings presented here, 5 small squares are equal to 20 cm (1:20 scale). If you need to reflect a large area on the drawing, use a 1:50 scale. where a small square measures 10 cm, take 5 mm lined paper in a box and apply drawings to the 1:10 or 1:25 scale (for large surfaces). Always indicate in the drawings on which scale they are made.
Theoretically, there are many options for organizing the same objects in a room – sofas, tables, chairs and cupboards, but some are more practical than others. Models of furniture cut from paper, superimposed on floor plans, will help you choose the right option and organize all items for your taste.
By creating simple patterns that imitate furniture, you can create different options for decorating the room, without having to move cupboards and heavy sofas. Measure the length and width of each article and draw their contours on paper, using the same scale as on the plan. At the front of cupboards or dressers, dotted lines mark the lines indicating the space required to open doors and drawers. Then label the drawings or paint them in different colors and cut them in paper or cardboard.
The patterns can be as in these figures, with structural details. But more often than not, we need simple contours of objects. For example, instead of a cupboard or a sofa, draw a ladder and cut the rectangles of the paper.
Arrange the patterns on the floor plan, try different furniture layout options. First place the most dimensional objects, then everything else. So you can choose what you prefer.
Don’t forget engineering communications
If possible, mark the location of electrical outlets, switches, radiators, gas, water and sewer lines.
If they interfere with the arrangement of the furniture, they must be moved to another location. Of course, electrical outlets are easier to move than sewer pipes, but beauty requires sacrifice.
Wall plan (side view)
The wall plan is useful when installing fixed or modular furniture or when changing wallpaper. To draw such a plan, measure the length and height of the walls, apply dimensions to the sketch project. Then measure the height and width of the doors, windows, pickles for paintings and Dado, baseboards. After that, draw the final plan of the wall to the appropriate scale (side view).
Remember that walls rarely have the same length and width or strictly straight angles. If the differences are not very large and the furniture is not strictly limited in size, such as walls and modules, this difference can be overlooked. However, if your room is intended for a set of furniture of certain sizes or for recessed furniture, it is very important to make precise measurements.
A wall plane is necessary to install the shelves and supports and to place the video and audio equipment next to the electrical outlets.
Measure the length of walls or alcoves at least 3 places from one corner to the other and the height of the wall at several places from floor to ceiling. Professional furniture manufacturers do not always trust your data and measure the walls themselves. However, if you plan to make built-in furniture yourself, carefully measure the steps: not all of them have perfect shape and in some cases compensation will be required.
To determine the area of the wall during upholstery, multiply its length and height. If you need to know the total surface of the wall in a room, calculate the surface of each wall and add the results. The plane of the ceiling is the same as the floor plan: they multiply the length and the width of the room. If the part has an L-shaped shape, it is divided into 2 rectangular parts, their surface is determined individually and the results are added together. The same method is used to measure the area of a niche or a bay window.
If you are planning a repair or if you simply decide to move the furniture, it is important to present the result before starting the work. At the same time, your idea alone will not be enough, because for the work to be successful, you must clearly present the result and build an action plan from it. Therefore, you will need to draw a coin with pencil furniture. Let’s try to figure out how to do it right.
The first thing we will need to decide to draw the design of the room is to build a frontal perspective. But first, let’s decide why it is necessary, what it is.
What is a perspective?
It is a special distortion of real proportions and a change in the shape of the objects in the image. This is done to make the image more realistic. For example, in a perspective image, a straight road connects to a point extending up to the horizon.
The frontal perspective implies that all the elements of the image will correspond to a point, which is called the point of flight. At this point, it should be remembered that there is also an angular perspective. Although the principle of construction of these two species is the same, there are differences between them and should not be confused. For the angular perspective, two leakage points and alignment are used, which allows you to create the depth of the image.
So let’s see how to create an almost real three-dimensional piece on a sheet of flat paper in the form of a drawing with furniture in pencil.
Draw a room
Let’s try to represent any fantastic piece, but to start with, we’re going to prepare a bit.
What do you need?
To create a sketch, we need very little :
- Some very sharp simple pencils with a different sweetness.
- Erase to remove unwanted lines, adjust the sketch.
- Rule for drawing straight lines.
- Colored pencils if you want to color the sketch.
- Pencil size.
- Some sheets of paper you will work on.
The preparation is finished – you can get to work. A simple sequence of actions will help you.
- First, we turn to the back wall of the room, using a ruler, draw two horizontal lines which will be parallel to the top of our sheet.
- We draw two vertical lines parallel to the side parts of the sheet, respectively. In the end, we should get a square.
- In the center of our place, we put a point. It will be the very point of reference for the living room with furniture.
- Then draw two lines of pencil diagonally from one corner to the other without strong pressure so that they cut at the reference point.
- After that, we can erase all the lines inside the square, leaving only the point of flight, which is located in the center. We had a sketch of the room in perspective, but this is just the beginning.
- Then we start to go around the door. When you work, do not press too hard on the pencil to have the possibility of correcting the drawing in case of error. Note that we draw in volume, therefore in the drawing, the lower part of the door or the door must be slightly wider than the upper part.
- In the same way, we draw the ground, the walls, while always thinking of creating the volume illusion.
- From the point of escape, draw a slightly visible line on the near side of the door. It will become a support for the rest of the living room with furniture.
- Draw a window opening. It is generally located opposite the door. Remember to create volume and make the lower lines a little larger than the upper ones.
- Using horizontal and vertical bands, draw slopes for windows and doors. In the same way, draw a sketch for the stairs.
- For the drawing of the stairs, the rear wall of the room can be taken as a base. We draw horizontal and vertical lines according to its pattern to obtain the back of the stairs.
Important! When creating a drawing, all straight lines must be parallel to the very first. Otherwise, the purity of the image and the perspective may not work.
The sketch is almost ready, if the result does not satisfy you, you can try several times: reorganize the objects in the figure, organize another lighting. Then you can try to draw your play.
We make a sketch from a real object :
- To start, find a practical point from which you will be clearly visible in the room.
- Make yourself comfortable, because you will have to keep the sheet still for a while.
- Also place the paper so that when you shake an eye, it is parallel, or better, it coincides with the furthest corner of the room.
- Then – without moving the sheet from a place, outline all the elements you see in the room: walls, floor, ceiling, furniture, textiles and lighting.
- After – you can relax a bit. The sheet must be scanned and a copy of it printed. The scanned sheet is painted in pencil, adding details, light and shadows.
Important! When you add details, don’t overdo it. First make a clear sketch, then complete its lines and draw shadows.
- When creating a drawing, work carefully and carefully – any inaccuracy can cause the parts to asymmetry with respect to each other.
- Remember to use a ruler. The show of hands, of course, seems more alive, but if we talk about precision – the rule is the best assistant.
- In order not to confuse the guides and the main lines, you can shade the areas of the floor and the ceiling, or work in different colors.
- If you want to complete the image, you can decorate the walls and other surfaces with patterns, paintings or graffiti.
- For the correct layout of furniture and other large objects in the room, focus on the guidelines.
- At the end of the work, don’t forget to delete the unnecessary lines with an eraser.
Of course, the first time you probably won’t represent a perfect drawing, but after a little training, you will get an excellent drawing of a room with furniture and other objects.
We dismantled one of the complex options for drawing a play. Such a sketch will prove to be very beautiful and detailed, but sometimes it is simply not necessary. Therefore, talk in more detail about how to create a simple plan-drawing of a room with furniture in pencil.
If you are going to reorganize, you do not need to imagine what the furniture will look like. It is more important here that it fits into a given space, so here it will be easier and more convenient to draw a piece with furniture with a pencil – a view from above.
Important! For work, you can use computer programs. But if they are not installed, it makes no sense to waste time downloading and studying their functions. Much faster to do it manually.
We will need
Everything is very simple here :
- tape to be measured to measure real objects
- gum and sharp pencil ;
- paper on which we will draw up a plan and a sheet in a cage.
After preparing everything you need, we start to work.
The work is quite simple, if you pay attention to the size, and follow these steps :
- The first step is to draw the shape of your room on the sheet with all the turns of the walls.
- Then use a tape to measure to measure all the dimensions of the walls, write them down on the design of a room with furniture.
- After – on the sketch, mark the location of the batteries, the risers, the windows and the doors. The square involved in opening the door is drawn in a quarter of a circle and shaded.
- Do not forget to mark on the diagram the location of the sockets and switches.
- Then we move on to measuring the size of the furniture. If there are no niches in the room, the height of the objects is not important to us.
- But the height of the part must be measured and marked next to the drawing.
- After all the measurements, take a piece of paper from a cage or drawing paper and make a careful drawing of the part. To do this, select the optimal scale. A 1:20 ratio is considered practical, but you can choose one that suits you.
- We use a pencil and a ruler, and draw the perimeter of the room according to the chosen scale.
- Then we transfer from the sketch all furniture, windows, doors and sockets. You can use a compass to indicate where the door opens.
- The last step will be the removal of the serrated lines with an eraser and a mark on the drawing concerning the scale and the actual size.
Important! To make the diagram understandable, you do not need to overload it and sign each object. Just shade them in different ways and make the hatches as a designation for the drawing.
In this drawing of a room with furniture with a pencil is ready, now, guided by the ladder, you can move the objects as you wish. Good luck